Techlab is a CERN IT project aiming at improving the efficiency of the computing architecture and making better utilisation of the processors available today.
Techlab systems are operated as evolving, test systems, on a best effort basis, and must not be used for production work or with sensitive data. Hosts are reinstalled on a regular basis and user data is permanently deleted at the end of each test slot.
Under some conditions and subject to availability, it may be possible to loan a Techlab system for longer periods, for example to pilot a build system on new platforms.
Core principles of Techlab:
- Everything can be published - no NDA
- Hardware is off-the-shelves - No development boards
- Hardware is periodically updated based community feedback and industry trends
- Multiple vendors and platforms
- No production service or guaranteed availability - This is a lab!